QUANTITATIVE METHODS FOR ECONOMIC AND FINANCIAL EVALUATIONS
The Master’s degree program in Quantitative Methods for Economic and Financial Evaluations provides graduates with a solid background in statistics and mathematics, with a special focus on economic and financial applications. The Master’s degree program lasts two years and comprises distinctive and complementary classes, as well as elective modules, for a total of 120 ECTS, which also include a foreign language and IT skills test. During the first year, the study program is centered on the foundations of advanced statistics, the mathematical methods for financial analysis, the economic policy and market regulations (at both micro and macro level, including monetary policy). At the beginning of the second year students can choose between two distinct curricula. The curriculum “Quantitative analysis for finance and insurance” concentrates on the topics of actuarial and financial mathematics and statistics. The curriculum “Quantitative analysis for sustainability, risk and efficiency” integrates the know-how in the fields of applied mathematical finance, risk management, quantitative methods, and techniques for multidimensional evaluations of business strategies, with a specific focus on the topics of environmental sustainability and efficient use of resources.
The syllabus reinforces students’ knowledge in the statistical and mathematical fields in order to ensure they can independently manage information inside and outside the company. In order to do so, students during the first year will acquire specific skills aimed at the following aspects:
- actuarial and mathematical finance techniques, as well as quantitative methodologies applied to financial problems and risk control and management;
- knowledge of statistical-probabilistic disciplines and their financial, actuarial and IT applications;
- the study of monetary, financial and market regulation policies, the effective formulation of competitive business strategies and the evaluation of business performance, along with the analysis of spatial data for economic applications;
The “Quantitative analysis for finance and insurance” curriculum concentrates on:
- statistical and mathematical techniques and methods focusing on the problems of insurance companies and pension funds;
- the ability to design and carry out surveys and analyses of the financial, insurance, and social security markets and to construct and manage efficient insurance schemes.
The “Quantitative analysis for sustainability, risk and efficiency” curriculum concentrates on:
- the ability to develop economic and financial assessment of the company's business and the associated risks;
- the ability to design and analyze strategic business plans with a view to the efficient use of resources and a multidimensional assessment of business performance.
Further training for the knowledge of a foreign language and external activities such as internships in private companies are also available. The teaching material supporting classroom lessons is available on the university's e-learning platform (Moodle).
Graduates in “Quantitative Methods for Economic and Financial Evaluations” can become Senior Risk Managers, a professional figure with managerial skills capable of making use of quantitative tools to support decisions related to risk management. By specializing in the “Quantitative analysis for finance and insurance” curriculum, graduates can find employment with insurance companies, securities brokerage firms and other institutions in the fields of finance and pensions, financial and insurance supervision and pension funds. By specializing in the “Quantitative analysis for sustainability, risk and efficiency” curriculum, graduates can operate as experts in data analysis, information systems management, application of quantitative methods for the control and management of financial aspects, efficiency and social and environmental sustainability of company activities.
In addition, a Master’s degree in “Quantitative Methods for Economic and Financial Evaluations” allows admission to the Italian State Examination for the qualification to the profession of actuary.