The course is aimed to transfer to the students the tools and operating procedures to deal with the structural design of civil works, also with regard to resistance against seismic actions.
Structural dynamics and earthquake engineering
The pre-stressed concrete: concepts, technology, materials, failure mode, design and verification standards (SLS and ULS). Verification of an element (tile) pre-stressed concrete.
Design and verification of RC stairs.
Verification and design of RC sections under torsion moment.
Introduction to the two-dimensional structural elements. Structural analysis of slabs. Structural analysis of shells. Application in reinforced concrete elements.
The final design of the structures: descriptive and elaborate graphics. The list drawn up of the structural design. Structural elements made of both pre-stressed and conventional concrete: analysis phases of life, regulatory requirements. The designs of carpentry of the floors. Drawing a structural design: AutoCAD, formats, line styles, dimensions, external references, model space and paper space.
Year project: Preliminary design of the structures. Singular elements in brick-cement floors: swings, swings corner, holes. Structural analysis: design, verification and representation of the floors. Design of the main elements of a RC building. The elastic and design seismic spectra. Concept of ductility class and capacity design. Structural design of beams, columns, foundations and nodes with the capacity design approach. Types of structural analysis for framed buildings. Structural analysis for vertical loads and seismic action: regulatory requirements. The details of reinforcement for beams and columns and verification. Dimensioning of the foundations of RC buildings.
Structural analysis of RC buildings: the input-output-analysis. Structural analysis of RC buildings: refining the output, executive "standard", checks to SLS. Monitoring software operations, design/modification of reinforcement at ULS. The drawings of beams and columns. Checks of unconfined nodes.
- Lessons provided by the teacher on the department website available for the registered students
- Guidelines for the preparation of the year project about the structural design of a RC frame building on the department website available for the registered students.
- Ramasco, R., Structural Dynamics, CUEN.
- Ministry of Infrastructure and Transport, Technical Standards for Construction, DM 14.01.2008.
- Ministry of Infrastructure and Transport, Circular no. 617/2009 Application of Technical Standards for Construction approved with DM 14.01.2008.
- Eurocode 8 Design of structures for earthquake resistance.