ELEMENTI DI IMPIANTI ELETTRICI
The course aims to provide the basic concepts for understanding the phenomena that occur in an electrical distribution system.
1.Knowledge and understanding
The student must know
- the main functions performed by an electric power system
- the basic laws and Standards on the electric power systems
- the structural and functional characteristics of the components of the electric power systems
- the operating problems of an electrical power system.
2. Applying knowledge and understanding
The student must demonstrate
- to understand the problems linked to the operation of an electric power system.
The student must demonstrate that he has the basic knowledge for dealing and deepening in an autonomous way the issues related to the operation of an electrical distribution system.
4. Communication skills
The student must demonstrate the ability to easily explain to people the operation of the main components of the electric power system and the problems linked to the operation of an electric power system.
5. Learning skills
The student must be able to update information about electric power systems through texts and publications relating to the field of electric power systems in order to acquire the ability to undertake further courses, specialized seminars and to be able to undertake further studies on the electric power systems
The student must have acquired the following knowledge provided by the Electrical circuits and Network Analysis Course:
The circuit model: ideal circuit elements, voltage and current. Kirchhoff’s laws. Linear resistive circuits: series and parallel equivalence, superposition principle, Thevénin-Norton’s theorem. Linear circuits in DC and AC steady state. Complex power, active power, reactive power, and conservation properties. Dynamical circuits, general methods of solution. Symmetric three-phase circuits: balanced, unbalanced.
The course illustrates the technological characteristics and the principle of operation of the main components of an electrical installation.
Introduction to the electric power system (1 ECTS – 8 hours):
- The subsystems of production, transmission, distribution and utilization (0.5 ECTS - 4 hours)
- Classification of the electric power systems. Topology of the structures of the MV and LV electrical distribution systems. (0.5 ECTS - 4 hours)
Technological characteristics and principles of operation of the main components of an electrical distribution system (5 ECTS – 40 hours):
- Electrical transmission and distribution lines (0.5 ECTS – 4 hours);
- Switching devices (1.5 ECTS – 12 hours);
- Relay (1 ECTS – 8 hours);
- Protection systems of the MV and LV distribution systems (1.5 ECTS – 12 hours);
- Distribution substations and switchboards (0.5 ECTS 4 hours).
1) V. Mangoni, G. Carpinelli, P. Varilone: Elementi di impianti elettrici di media e bassa tensione. Edizioni Università di Cassino
2) Notes provided by the teacher
The exam consists in the oral test in which the level of knowledge of the topics addressed during the course is assessed.
The student must demonstrate that he has the basic knowledge for dealing and deepening in an autonomous way the issues related to the operation of an electrical system.