Meteorological, oceanographic and climatological modeling
The course aims at providing students with basic physical and mathematical knowledge in the area of oceanographic, meteorological and climatological modelling. The stress is put not only on scientific and technical aspects, but also on methodological implications, so as to suggest appropriate use of the modelling tool and of its numerical results. The treatment of each topic is accompanied by a series of examples, discussed also by means of images and movies.
B.Sc. in Scienze Nautiche e Aeronautiche, or equivalent degree.
Elements of oceanic and atmospheric fluid dynamics.
Methodological, physical, mathematical and numerical aspects of oceanographic and meteorological modelling.
Elements of oceanographic modelling.
Elements of meteorological modelling.
Elements of climatological modelling.
Frontal lessons with an intensive the use of images and movies.
- KANTHA, L. H., CLAYSON, C. A., 2000: “Numerical Models of Oceans and Oceanic Processes”, Academic Press.
- KALNAY, E., 2003: “Atmospheric Modeling, Data Assimilation and Predictability”, Cambridge University Press.
- PIERINI, S.: Oceanic and atmospheric fluid dynamics. E-learning of the University of Naples Parthenope, blended learning course in English (20 capsules).
- STEWART, R. H., 2005: "Introduction to Physical Oceanography". Book available online.
- NEELIN, J. D., 2011: "Climate Change and Climate Modeling", Cambridge University Press.
- Additional material distributed during the course.