In this course the basic elements of fluid dynamics in both inertial and rotating reference frames are introduced. The aim is to allow the student to deal with practical problems concerning oceanic and atmospheric fluid dynamics, offshore hydrodynamics and aircraft aerodynamics. The discussion of analytical aspects is always accompanied by a detailed description of the corresponding phenomenology.
Calculus I e II, Physics I.
PART 1: FLUID DYNAMICS IN INERTIAL REFERENCE FRAMES
Forces in fluid dynamics.
Elements of fluid statics.
Elements of fluid kinematics.
The equations of fluid dynamics.
Turbulence and eddy viscosity.
Low and high Reynolds number flows.
Some solutions of the Navier-Stokes equations.
Surface and internal gravity waves.
PART 2: FLUID DYNAMICS IN ROTATING REFERENCE FRAMES
Coriolis force, geostrophic motions.
Bidimensionality in rotating fluids.
Thermal wind and relative currents.
Ageostrophic winds in the atmospheric boundary layers.
Ageostrophic currents in the oceanic boundary layers.
The shallow water approximation.
Potential vorticity and its applications.
Quasigeostrophic approximation, Rossby waves.
Atmospheric and oceanic vortices, wind-driven ocean circulation.
PART 3: NAVAL AND AERONAUTICAL APPLICATIONS
Aspects of offshore hydrodynamics.
Equations of motion of floating bodies.
Damping and wave forces on floating structures.
Aspects of aircraft aerodynamics.
Velocity, thrust, aerodynamic ceiling.
Fluid dynamics in inertial reference frames
Fluid dynamics in rotating reference frames, with oceanographic and meteorological applications.
Aspects of offshore hydrodynamics, with naval applications.
Aspects of aircraft aerodynamics, with applications to flight.
Frontal lessons with an intensive the use of images and movies.
- PIERINI, S.: Oceanic and atmospheric fluid dynamics. E-learning of the University of Naples Parthenope, blended learning course in English (20 capsules).
- BATCHELOR, G. K., 1967: “An Introduction to Fluid Dynamics”, Cambridge University Press.
- STEWART, R. H., 2005: "Introduction to Physical Oceanography". Book available online.
- JOURNEE, J.M.J., and MASSIE, W.W., 2001: “Offshore Hydrodynamics”. Delft University of Technology.
- ANDERSON, J.D. Jr., 1989: “Introduction to Flight”. McGraw-Hill.
- Notes, images, movies and other material distributes during the course.