EVALUATION OF SPORTING EVENTS
The course of Sport events evaluation aims to illustrate the fundamental concepts for the analysis of events and in particular of sporting events. Consistent with the training objectives of the Master Degree Program in Sports Management and Movement Science, teaching is characterized by the application of the universal principles of the doctrine to the specific context of events and sporting events regardless of the chosen legal form (company , associations, bodies, etc.) and the organizational structure assumed.
The focus is mainly on the problems of their design (strategic and operational planning), management (in the previous phases, concomitant and subsequent to the development of the events), evaluation (ex-ante and ex-post) by the different numerous stakeholders involved, administration (financial, human resources, information, etc.), marketing (promotion, sponsorship, merchandising, etc.), risk assessment (economic, environmental, safety).
The expected learning outcomes are also available on the basis of the Dublin Descriptors, according to the following scheme:
1) Knowledge and ability to understand. The course allows the understanding of the main economic-business phenomena and of the aspects and methodologies related to the realization of sports events of any category in order to assess both the economic and equilibrium conditions of the company with reference to the promoter and the economic impact on the host community and the general economic environment involved;
2) Ability to apply knowledge and understanding. The course allows students to apply quantitative analysis models to support corporate decision-making processes using the most appropriate operational tools for the purpose;
3) Autonomy of judgment. The course improves the ability to interpret the results of economic-business decision-making models in relation to sporting events and to formulate independent judgments, also through examples.
4) Communication skills. Students will acquire an appropriate language in the description of the phenomenon of sporting events that will favor communication with the stakeholders of sports organizations, host communities and other companies with particular regard to those with which there are economic and financial relationships.
5) Learning skills. The course develops the necessary skills to independently deepen the issues of corporate assessment in relation to the specific needs of their work or research, selecting the most accurate sources of information and the most appropriate methodologies.
No specific binding prerequisites are set
Definition of events and their classification
The size of events
Sport events definitions and classification
The economic dimension of the phenomenon of sport events in Italy
Sport events in the perspective of the Stakeholder Theory
Identification and classification of Stakeholders
The mode of involvement of the Stakeholders and their objectives
Various approaches and methodologies in the evaluation of sport events
The application of Project management to sport events
The stages of realization of sporting events
The EMBOK (Event Management Body of Knowledge) model
Analysis and evaluation of some sport events
The course consists of 24 hours of frontal teaching (3 c.f.u.), including thematic exercises, aimed at applying the knowledge acquired in classroom.
Book: Alessandra Sorrentini, Il business degli eventi sportivi, G. Giappichelli Editore, Torino, 2010
The purpose of the exam is to verify the achievement of the previously indicated training objectives.
Learning is verified through:
- A written test structured in questions open-ended questions (but limited) on all program.
- A conclusive oral exam, optional, on all program.
N.B. Passing the written test requires obtaining an evaluation of at least 18/30. Only students who have passed the written test can access the optional oral exam.
The program and the modalities of the final learning test are the same for those who attend and for those who do not attend lessons.