ECONOMICS, CULTURE AND CIVILIZATION IN THE AUTHENTIC SOURCES IN FRENCH
The student will demonstrate knowledge of 19th-century France's economy through analysis of authentic sources selected.
Knowledge and understanding:
Students will demonstrate the ability to recognize the main French language morphosyntactic structures including a text of economics.
Applying Knowledge and understanding: Students will demonstrate the ability to recognize the main French language morphosyntactic structures include a reference book of economics.
The student will demonstrate knowledge of how to locate different genres.
Communication:Students will demonstrate the ability to communicate in French in a clear and appropriate to the topics being studied.
Lifelong learning skills:
The student must demonstrate a good capacity of learning and application of acquired notions.
The course is carried out partly in French and partly in Italian to allow even beginners an appropriate approach to Francophone language and culture.
Particular attention will be paid to the following subjects:
I Module (24h)
- The economy of the France in the 19th century;
- Hector Malot writer and journalist.
II Module (24h):
- Hector Malot and the Economy;
- Notaries, law and morality in the work of Malot.
The course is focused on the reading and analysis of authentic texts in French with the aim of highlighting the economy and culture of the country being studied. The starting point is the semiotic analysis of printed information through two different perspectives: cultural and economic.
The course will look as much as possible into the economy, finance and culture of the country being studied by employing axioms found in masterpieces of literature, and demonstrating how differently writers may anticipate the insights of economists and how economists can be inspired with the work of writers to clarify their own postulates.
- Francis Marcoin (études réunies par) Hector Malot la morale et le droit, Paris, Magellan & Cie, 2014;
Agnès Thomas Maleville, Hector Malot, l'écrivain au grand cœur, Monaco, Rocher, 2000.
- Maria Giovanna Petrillo, Edmondo de Amicis et Hector Malot “deux écrivains aux grands cœurs” in https://www.amis-hectormalot.fr/revue-perrine/revue-perrine-2016/.
- Maria Giovanna Petrillo, Hector Malot et les marins normands : une lecture de « Romain Kalbris » in Raffaella Antinucci, Maria Giovanna Petrillo (eds), Navigating Maritime Languages and narratives. New Perpectives in English and French, Oxford, Peter Lang, pp. 233-248.
- Maria Giovanna Petrillo, Rémi and David from anomie to autonomy. The archetypal orphan in the process of self-development to autonomy, in RVS, Anno XVI-XVII Luglio 2011-Gennaio 2012 Fascicoli 32-33, pp. 75-91.
Further study material will be provided during the course.