BUSINESS PLAN IN THE SPORT ORGANIZATIONS
The Business Plan for Sport Organizations course aims to introduce the
student to the fundamental concepts for the study of this advanced
management strument. The expected learning outcomes can also be
defined according to the Dublin Descriptors, on the basis of the following
scheme: 1. understand the importance of the correct preparation of a
business plan; 2. identify the different elements that determine its
success; 3. analyze and recognize the main errors in its drafting;
4. acquire a vision of its overall functioning and in-depth analysis of the
different levels of analysis;
5. compare the phases of the content editing process; 6. understand its
methods of use and presentation.
No specific binding prerequisites are set
The course is divided into two parts. The first, introductory, concerns the
definition of the basic project and its multiple possibilities of finalization,
while the second deals with the construction of a business plan with
specific references to sports organizations. Following the path just traced,
the following topics will be discussed:
1. - The business plan as a managerial tool
2. - The internal and external functions of the business plan
3. - The business plan in its relationship with the other forecasting tools
(Business Plan, Budget, etc.)
4. - The regulatory framework
5. - The business idea and the analysis of the business model (business
6. - Key factors of business valuation
7. - Analysis of the macro-environment
8. - The forces of the competitive system according to Porter
9. - The identification of competitors, customers and suppliers
10. - Analysis methodologies
11. - The analysis s.w.o.t.
12. - Strategic aspects of the business plan
13. - The drafting of the strategic plan in its elementary articulations
14. - The system of business plans
15. - Break Even Analysis and Break Even Point (BEP) to identify
16. - Debt and the "Leverage" effect
17. - Estimation of financial needs
18. - The construction of the income statement and provisional balance
19. - Sustainability of the development plan and possible situations of
financial crisis. Evaluation of financial risks
20. - Performance evaluation and comparison with benchmarks
The Business Plan Course in sports organizations deals with this
management tool which is a means of communication, analysis and
learning that allows a company, whether it is nascent or not, to plan its
development activity and to verify its effective feasibility within the
reference competitive context.
The course consists of 48 hours of frontal teaching, including thematic
exercises, aimed at applying the knowledge acquired in class and further
summary exercises including simulations of the exam.
Book: G.Bronconi S.Cavaciocchi, Business Plan. Come redigere un piano
d'impresa efficace e completo, Editrice Il Sole 24 Ore, 2009. In addition to
the book, materials of the program are the slides concerning the frontal
lessons (material by the teacher downloadable from the Departement
website and from the special section of the course in MMSTeams access code: nph0grj)
The purpose of the exam is to verify the achievement of the previously
indicated training objectives.
Learning is verified through:
- A written test divided into two parts: the first articulated in multiple-
choice questions and the second in open-ended questions on the topics of the program;
- A conclusive oral exam, optional, which deals with the whole program.
N.B. Passing the written test requires obtaining an evaluation of at least
18/30. Only students who have passed the written test can access the
optional oral exam.
The program and the modalities of the final learning test are the same for
those who attend and for those who do not attend lessons.