Low carbon power plants economics and management
The course provides the basic methodological tools to accomplish energetic and economic analysis for the management of power plants powered by biofuel and biomass . Combined cycle and combined heat and power plants with high performance and low pollutants technology are addressed.
1. Knowledge and understanding
The student are expected to know:
- the main concepts related to biofuels, bio mass and low carbon power plants technologies;
- the basic laws, operation and standards of combined cycle and cogeneration (CHP) power plants;
- the basic technical and economic criteria for operating cogeneration and combined cycle power plants with the best fuel efficiency and the lowest cost and environmental impact.
2. Applying knowledge and understanding
The student is expected to demonstrate
- to apply the technical and economic criteria for the selection and sizing of cogeneration and combined cycle power plants fueled by biomass and bio fuels.
- to understand the problems related to the operation of cogeneration and combined cycle power plants.
3. Making judgements
The student is expected to demonstrate the basic knowledge for dealing and deepening in an autonomous way the issues related to the operation and economics of cogeneration and combined cycle power plants fueled by biomass and bio fuels.
4. Communication skills
The student must demonstrate the ability to easily explain the operation and economics of low carbon cogeneration and combined cycle power plants.
5. Learning skills
The student is expected to be able to update information about low carbon technologies, cogeneration and combined-cycle power plants through books and articles related to the field of energy conversion in order to acquire the ability to undertake further courses, specialized courses and to be able to undertake further studies on energy conversion system and components.
The student must have acquired the following knowledge:
- Thermodynamic principles, components and schematics of Gas Turbine power plant.
- Thermodynamic principles, components and schematics of Steam Turbine power plant.
- Performance estimation of Power Plants.
- POWER PLANTS SOLUTIONS FOR SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT SCENARIOS.
- BIOFUELS AND BIOMASS.
- PERFORMANCE AND ECONOMICS OF GAS TURBINE, COMBINED CYCLE AND COMBINED HEAT AND POWER PLANT.
- INTEGRATED GASIFICATION COMBINED CYCLE.
The teaching includes theoretical lessons and exercises in the classroom. The exercises will be performed together with the lecturer and a discussion on the results will be carried out.
The exam includes the verification of the level of achievement of the previously indicated training objectives. The exam is composed by an interview, with at least three questions, in which the level of knowledge and the ability to present the topics covered during the course will be assessed.
The evaluation will take into account the correctness and the quality of representation of diagrams, schematics and figures; the correct use of symbols and formulas; the ability to present with clear exposition the topics of the course.